Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many miles do you ride a day?  (Read 3800 times)
On Two Wheels
Adventurer

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:35:16 AM »
ReplyReply

One frequently asked question when talking about doing a ‘Extended Tour’ on a bicycle is “How many miles do you cycle a day?”

Such a well thought out question, both by the generally interested listeners, and those that have ‘hatched a plan to tour the world on a bike.’

When I tell them I do not have a daily mileage plan, they turn away as if to say I’m now BS’ing about the whole thing.

Do you know how many miles you will cycle a day?  Do you?  I know I don’t. I plan in to do about 50 miles a day.  That’s on an average day. 50 miles?  Not a lot really is it? Can do that in your car in an hour and a half, less on a motorbike (if you ride like I do,) maybe even less on a train.

I’m not on a train, or in a car, I’m on a bloody bicycle.

Journal Entry

17 August 2005 = Bodenwerder - Germany. Hours:  6.23. Distance: 74 miles.

What a lovely German town this is. I’m camped up on the outskirts, in a small private campsite by the riverside. It’s a 10-minute walk into the town or 5 min on the bike, but with all the gear attached it hardly seems worth the added effort of getting on the bike. I can walk along the river edge until I reach the bridge. Saving all of 600 yards. Hehehe. See you all later. Proper shopping to do.

19 August 2005 Hours: Nil – Rest Day. Distance: 0 miles

Still in Bodenwerder. Campsite filled up fast. Seems there is a local celebration/festival this weekend and people from around the world come to see the festivities and have a party.

Had too many beers when I got here Wednesday night. Well too many to bother getting up early and striking camp, so decided to stay put and have a rest day. Managed a proper cooked brekky this morning, eggs, german style bacon, and some petrol fume flavoured toast (I’m getting the knack of toasting with the coleman now ) Lounged outside the tent in the sun. Clothes washed and drying on a line. Early bed tonight for early strike in morning.

21 August 2005 Hours: Nil – Rest Day. Distance: 0

Really must get going in the morning.  Stayed here far too long now – still at Bodenwerder. Started to pack up but got caught up in the party atmosphere here and stayed put again. Plans screwed up for next rest day so I’m just going to have to miss next scheduled and keep on riding. Overspent daily budget. Got to get moving. It’s cheaper to keep moving. Will have to try harder to put in some missed miles also, should be able to go a few hours longer. Next camp will be wild. Stay out of towns during festivals. The locals, and visitors, alike are so so friendly. Got talking to one person, in broken german and english, and said  that I was riding from Bremen to Munich. He said ‘Me crazy english.’ A beer, then another followed that. He must have told someone else, because a beer was placed in front of me at the table. Followed later by another. Then another, someone walked behind me. Slap on the back, some glutteral german words exchanged. Smiles, laughs, sign language for riding a bike, a twirly finger beside head obviously to indicate I’m crazy. LOL. Too many beers. Had to sleep. Slept over so stayed longer. 3 bloody days. Definitely not leaving tent area this afternoon / evening. Pack ready to ride….

My Daily mileage plan shot away.  When you get to a place and have an unexpected rest day it does throw your riding plan out a bit. I took three days. Yes I had a fantastic experience. Yes, I met some great friendly people, and yes, I would do it again. Next time I will plan on 30 miles a day, and suffer the time delays. If I had planned on 30 miles a day initially I would have been way ahead of myself time wise and not need to try and pedal faster for the next 3 days.

How many miles do you plan on riding a day? How many?

I’ll get in as many as I can, that’s all I plan for these days, as many as I can. There are far too many variables to count on to be able to give a planned ‘daily mileage.’

Apart from that I will plan on more than 35, will aim for 50 but TRY to get in 60 miles a day.

Do you have a planned distance you need to cycle daily?

You may say that I'm a dreamer, But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, And we can cycle the world as one.

Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can.
No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man.
Imagine all the people, Sharing all the world...
Stephane
Administrator
Explorer

cyclocamping cyclocamping
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:49:46 AM »
ReplyReply

I never really plan how many miles I will bike unless my visa is about to expire, I am running out of food or water, or there is another urgency of that sort. If I pack up one morning and hit the road, but get a nice invitation across the street, I don't mind stopping!

“A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill

However, my average biking distance is between 40 to 50 miles a day. I tour with my wife, and this is an average distance for couples.  Single guys, or guys traveling together, often bike more in one day, usually between 60 - 80 miles per day, and even up to 100 miles a day.  Those who cover the most distance, in order, are solo men (or a group of only men), couples, then families with children.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:30:06 AM by Stephane » Logged

"Trust in Your Gear is Peace of Mind"

SAVE on bicycle Touring Gear and Camping Equipment
Shane
Wanderer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »
ReplyReply

My dream on my next big trip is to have so much time that distance isn't a problem. That way I can hide my speedometer from myself so that I dont push myself to have to cycle x km/h or x km per day.

Just cycle and when I'm tired or find a nice spot, stop....wouldn't that be nice Embarrassed I hope I can do it  Grin

woollypigs
Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »
ReplyReply

On our last little tour we got a bit stressed because we had to be a certain places at certain time. e.g meeting up with a friend. We also tried to beat the weather and cycled two days in one, which was very hard but we missed the bad weather.

We then figured out that the best way to tour for us is get up ride for 2-2.5 hours rest with a good lunch break for an hour or more and then ride 2-3 hours. Since we want to explore and see stuff we want to have time for that too. So if we only make 10 miles one day that is fine. On other days where it is downhill with a tail wind you can clock up 100miles or more, in the same riding time.

Yes this does mean that you need to have a more flexible schedule, like Stephane said it depends on your visa, flight etc.

The stress of "we have to be there at this time" is a bit annoying when you are as free as a cycle tourer is.

Big Lew
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:11:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Most of my tours have been from 2 to 4 weeks and have averaged between 65 and 85 miles a day.
Every trip was time constrained because of work schedules and governed by my enthusiasm to go and see as much as possible.
Now that I will be retired before my next tour, time isn't so much a worry, so I will aim for 50-60 miles a day.
Biking 25-30 miles before lunch and the same during the afternoon is quite doable even with fifty pounds of camping equipment.
On Two Wheels
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:03:58 AM »
ReplyReply

I've just cycled up through Viet Nam, on the way up I met another cyclist who was on vacation (I'm not), and was cycling from Sai Gon (Ho Chi Min City) to Ha Noi. I agreed to cycle with him to keep him company, and him keep me company as well I guess.  Anyway, he was so intent on getting to Ha Noi within his time frame that we were pushing out 70 - 90 miles a day, every day. He/we got there with 10 days to waste (for him.)

It was good to have company during the time we spent together, but when we parted our ways (4 days ago) I was pleased. I have taken over 200 photographs since we parted. During our joint cycle I think I took no more than 30 - he just did not seem interested in stopping.

On our last day together I said to him, 'So, how was Viet Nam? You've seen a lot but looked at nothing, and you've looked at a lot but seen nothing.'

It's not really the mileage that counts (in my opinion) it's what you see and experience.

On my longest day I did over 100 miles, but on my shortest day (so far) I have only gone about 5 miles.

You may say that I'm a dreamer, But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, And we can cycle the world as one.

Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can.
No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man.
Imagine all the people, Sharing all the world...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: